According to the legend, there was a big tank with thick Jambu bushes called Jambulamadugu. This tank is located on the banks of sacred Penna river flowing by the side of Jammalamadugu town in YSR Kadapa district. Later it became familiar as Jammalamadugu.
According to the sthalapuranam, Lord Sri Venkateswara Swamy appeared in the dream of a devotee, Naaraapuraiah and asked for installation of his idol that can be found near Jambulamadugu on the banks of the Penna.
The devotee found the idol in Jambulamadugu as directed by Lord Sri Venkateswara Swamy in Jambulamadugu. Immediately, he installed it on a sand heap to the North of the town. Hence, it is called Sri Narapura Venkateswara Swamy temple.
As per the inscriptions found on the stones in the present temple, the temple which was consecrated by Naaraapuraiah was dilapidated which was renovated in 1919 with the co-operation of some local devotees.
After renovation, every year during the month of Vaisakha, Brahmotsavams are performed to the Lord regularly. This temple came under the control of TTD from 23rd of October 2008. From then all pooja’s are performed as per Pancharatra Aagama.